Sunday, September 30, 2012

Completing First Projects

We are now looking at the work that the students have created. Our vocabulary word for the week has been "assessment" . It's important to look at what is done, to see it with it's strengths and weaknesses and to understand what worked visually in the piece. I tell the students that being involved in art is like going to a baseball game. There are rules in baseball and vocabulary for the game. If you don't understand them then the  game is not interesting at all. It's a blur of people hitting a ball and running around for no good reason. But if you understand what is going on... what a great time you can have!
 For us to get something  out of  art class we need  to understand the art vocaublary that goes with  each lesson, we need to understand the rules of the style of art or medium that we use.  When one uses materials correctly, understands the ideas behind a lesson, an art style, or why a kind of art is important, then art becomes rich with  meaning. I ask that the students look at my rubric  for the lesson and grade themselves, then I go over their work with them and tell them what I see. What I want is the beginning of a conversation about each student's thinking and working with their art. My students are all thinking about their work and it's wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment